Your child may be eligible, if you are on a low income, some types of benefit or meet certain other criteria, you might be eligible to apply for 570 hours free early education or childcare per year (15 hours per week over 38 weeks) for your two-year-old.
Last reviewed June 2019.
Click on the link above
A limited number of 2 year old children living in the Borough of Reading are eligible to receive a free part-time early years place.
2 year funding eligibility flow chart ~ April 2019 to find out more.
Parents of some two-year-olds are entitled to free childcare or early education for up to 15 hours per week (up to 570 hours per year) from the start of the term after the child's second birthday.
- their family gets 1 of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credits or Working Tax Credits and they have a gross annual income (before tax) of no more than £16,190
- Working Tax Credit run-on, which is paid for 4 weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you and your partner are on a low income from work (this usually means a combined income of less than £15,400 a year after tax)
Even if you do not meet the criteria above, you may still be eligible for the funding for your child under the following non-economic criteria:
- you have received a DWP postcard from the Local Authority with a unique reference number (URN)on
- the child has been in local-authority care for 1 day or more
- the child has been adopted from local-authority care
- the child has left local-authority care under a special guardianship order, a child arrangements order or an adoption order
- the child has a statement of special educational needs (SEN) or an education, health and care plan (EHC)
- they get Disability Living Allowance
From September 2019 the Government has added additional criteria. If you think you qualify using the criteria below please request a 2 year old assessment application form from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You are a Zambrano Carer
- You have no recourse to public funds with a right to remain in the UK on grounds of private and family life under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR)
- You are a failed asylum seekers (supported under section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 – ‘the 1999 Act’)
Click to find out more about the new criteria.
You can check whether your child qualifies and apply for funding on the Citizen Portal you will need to register, then sign in and complete the application form . If you need help with the online application, please talk to your health visitor, your local children's centre or Early Years providers.
Please use the Parent's Guide if you need assistance with completing the on line application form.
For 2 year funded places, the setting must have a 'good' or 'outstanding' OFSTED rating.
Above you will see two boxes that provide links to childcare providers who offer funded places and those that can offer immediate vacancies.
For further information on 2 year funding please contact the Family Information Service on 0118 9373777 (option 2). To access information on providers offering 2 year places search through the childcare options on the following page Childcare Search
You can also visit your local Children's Centre, where staff will be able to provide further information and assistance.