Skip to main content

Transition 16-25

View all services in this category

Transition describes the move from children’s services to adult services.

This can involve leaving school, transferring from children and family services to adult social care services, and/or transferring from paediatric services to adult health services, it can also involve leaving college and moving to employment. Family carers are often concerned about what will happen when their young person leaves full-time education.

They may also worry about the impact on their own lives, as schools provide a settled pattern, along with the opportunity to work, study or just have some time to themselves.

Transition planning at school

  • Person Centred Planning provides a way of helping a person plan all aspects of their life, including this transition. In England, in year nine (around 13-14 years of age), students with an Education, Health & Care Plan (EHCP) will have a review organised by the school (called a person-centred review). The transition review is laid down in law and should include the following:
  • Family, friends and staff across different agencies who are supporting the young person should all be involved,  this should also include the young people themselves.
  • The plan is in a format adapted to the young person, (especially should they have high support needs and be unable to communicate their wishes in words) - for example, through the use of pictures, photos or video clips. Health needs should be addressed and incorporated into the plan.
  • The ensuing transition plan should be reviewed each year, until the young person leaves full-time education.

This section is designed to provide information for young people with Special Educational Needs and/or Disability (SEND) on support and services available to help them make informed choices about their futures and includes information on a wide range of subjects.