Whether visiting Reading UK, recently moved to or lived here all your life, my easy guided walking tours explain about its beginning, Rivers/Canal, Important Abbey history, Forbury gardens, Reading Gaol, Glorious Revolution of 1688, WW2 Air Raid, The 5 B’s inc. what was the world’s biggest biscuit factory, Shopping & Restaurants. Suitable for adults & children.
Terry's Reading Walkabouts
Who to contact
Where to go
- Most BUT NOT ALL my Walkabouts start from outside the Outside Three Guineas Pub, outside the Reading Railway Station, BUT NOT ALL
- RG1 6HS
This is my normal starting point for 4 of the 9 different Themes/routes that I currently offer,
Other starting points can sometimes be arranged (i.e. hotels in the very centre of Reading).
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- I can walk most Tue., Thur. mornings (sometimes I can do afternoon or early evening in the months where daylight is sufficient), plus other days including some Sat. or Sun. are available to book or you can join one of my many planned Walks.
- Time of day
- Session Information
Other times are available if I'm free and My Guided walks take between 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours depending on the route & slowest walker
- Is there a charge for
using this service?
- Table of costs
Table of costs Amount Cost Type Adults £5.00, Children over 5 are £1 Per Session
- I am non-profit making and I also do a Family ticket for £12 (2 adults and 2 or more children). Please note all takings other than about 5% for admin cost go to charities, most are local ones. As of July 2019, I have made well over £5000 for charities like Launchpad, No5, Daisy's Dream, BWA, RAF Association, Tilehurst British Legion etc. My 2019 Financial Year charities are Age (UK) Berkshire & Action-For-Children.
- Wheelchair accessible?
- Referral required
- Referral Details
Some of my 9 different Themes/routes are suitable for Wheelchair users (please check beforehand).
Other disablilities may be able to be accomidated depending on wether thay are accompanied and the severity of the person.
- Other notes
Please note this is a hobby for me since retiring and not a full time business. It is a wonderful way for me to make monies for mainly local charities
For 2019 I now have 9 different Walkabout Themes/Routes please see below and Events Tab on my main facebook page to see the Walkabouts that are planned. Then click on each Walkabout to open it out in to full detail.
My main standard Reading Town Center walk takes about 2-3 hours and takes in the following (not in order):
- Harris Arcade, Town Hall, Important Abbey history, Forbury gardens (inc. the grizzly end of the last Abbot) & Reading Gaol!
- Part of River Kennet & Canal towpaths
- I can provide information on Shopping, Restaurants & Leisure opportunities
- English Civil War & the very important part Reading played in ‘The Glorious Revolution of 1688’
- Reading's strategic position, the importance of the coming of the Railways and Reading's rapid growth
- The Devastating WW2 Air Raid in central Reading & past Military campaigns
- The 5 B's that made Reading famous inc. the site of what was the world's biggest biscuit factory
- Dispelling the main 2 Myths, plus so much more and I will try to answer any questions you may have on the way.
In 2017 I added a walk covering Reading's proud Theater & Cinema heritage, The Thames River & Caversham now available. Ideal for Spring to Autumn. While not bring a picnic to have when you have finished.
In 2018 I added 2 Special & Unique 'Vote 100' Walkabouts, (2018 was the 100 year Anniversary of more UK people winning the right to vote, especially women) - Celebrating Famous/not so Famous Women of Reading:
- Part 1 features 12 Women/Ladies and takes about 1.5 Hours
- Part 2 features 19 Women/Ladies and takes about 2.25 Hours -
If you wish to do one of these (they are independent and can be done in any order)
Please see my Events tab on the main page or ring me to join/do. Such is my success that I have added by popular demand 3 New walks for 2019:
- My Reading's Architecture Walkabouts (Guided Walk), that has been 18 months in the making, entitled - 'The New, Old, Good, Bad, downright Ugly and the Missing' and will feature examples of amongst many other things, some buildings from Reading's 5 world famous Architects. this is an easy 2+ hours walk.
- My New Reading's Proud Photographic Heritage Walkabouts (Guided Walk), that has been 15 months in the making, featuring 13 Famous & some not so Famous Photographers (from World Famous Fox Talbot on-wards) with some buildings from Reading's past + some fascinating tangents! - It is easy walking of about 1.75 hours. I will illustrate when I stop and talk, using a photo album with photos from the 1840's birth of repeatable photography which was started in Reading, through the last century and up to more contemporary photographers & artists, including royal photographers!
- And a 2 hour - Reading Crime Walkabout that was only launched in June 2019 and sold out now twice, I will be repeating regularly!
PLEASE DO NOT TURN UP BEFORE BOOKING WITH ME VIA MY FACEBOOK PAGE OR BY PHONE FIRST on 07505 351517.
- I have walked my different routes several times (accompanied) and produced a detailed Risk Assessment (copy available) based on my safety knowledge and experience.
- I start with a brief safety run through explaining potential hazards and I require all adult participants to sign it, stating that they understand these hazards & requirements.
- I have produced an ‘Information and declaration form’ for participating walkers
- For safety reasons I'm insured, I carry a mobile phone, Risk Assessment, drinking water and a basic first aid kit.
This information has been collected from third party providers therefore the Reading Services Guide, Reading Borough Council (RBC) and Brighter Futures for Children (BFfC) cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy of this information and recommends that parents, carers, young people, residents and professionals check with providers regarding DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) and OFSTED registrations and CQC registrations. Information collected by Reading Service Guide; is used solely to implement and supply the Family Information Service (FIS), Special Educational Needs & Disabilities - Reading's Local Offer, Adults & Carers Support Group and Reading Youth.