A monthly group for autistic girls (aged up to 18 years old) to meet, socialise, have fun and try new things.
The aims of the group are:
- To build the girls confidence
- For them to try new experiences
- To stretch them out of their comfort zone
- To teach skills for self regulation (e.g. mindfulness)
- To discuss challenges they may face and how to deal with them (e.g. starting new school, relationships) using different methods (e.g. scenarios/ drama work)
- To give them an understanding of others reactions and give them coping strategies
- To celebrate difference
We have previously provided opportunities, once a term, for girls to take part in activities, which have included pottery and yoga. This prompted the girls to request a regular monthly meet up where they can meet with other autistic girls and develop new skills and friendships.
With a limited number of opportunities for the girls to meet otherwise we have seen friendships develop and confidence grow, so we are sure that the monthly group will enable more girls to benefit, and existing girls to continue to gain new skills and friendships.
We are very grateful to The Good Exchange for supporting this project.
For further information and booking details follow the link http://www.parentingspecialchildren.co.uk/courses/the-a-team-awesome-autism/