Help with care costs

Adult Social Care Services are not free. However, the person you care for may be entitled to financial support from the Council to help towards care costs.

The rules around charging for social care services are complicated - for more details visit

Charges for care and support

Care and support provided to a person with care and support needs is not free.

The person you care for must pay for:

  • care and support services provided to help them at home and in the community

  • care home costs

These charges apply from the date their services start. The Council may be able to help towards the care costs of that person. How much help they get depends on:

  • their financial situation and
  • the actual cost of the services they need (these are identified by a care and support assessment using national eligibility criteria)

We offer a Financial Assessment (a means test) to work out how much the person could afford to pay each week towards their care.

Carers are not required to pay towards a Carer's Personal Budget.


The person you care for must pay for their care in full if they:

  • have savings above the Government's upper limit* or
  • refuse a financial assessment

* limits set each year by the Department of Health

Self funders who ask social services to arrange and manage their care services for them will be charged a fee to cover administration costs.

For more detailed information, please follow this link

Care home fees

If someone is assessed as having substantial and complex needs that can only be met in a care home they may be eligible for financial support from the Council to help towards their care home fees.

The help offered is based on the outcome of a financial assessment.

Choosing a care home

If the person you care for needs help with care home fees (now or in the future) they must choose a home that accepts Council rates.

If they choose a more expensive home, someone else must pay the extra fees for as long as they live in the home.


If the person you care for has savings and capital over the Government’s Upper limit (or they refuse a financial assessment) they must pay their own care home fees in full.

Deferred Payments Scheme

If the person you care for needs to sell their home to pay their care home fees, they may be eligible for a Deferred Payment Agreement.  If agreed, this allows them to delay selling their home during their lifetime.

The Council loans the money to pay for care fees and places a legal charge on the property.  All costs (plus interest) will be recovered when the property is sold.

Always seek independent financial advice.

NHS funded care

Continuing Healthcare

If the person you care for has an overriding primary health need they may be eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare. This means that the NHS will cover all the costs of:

  • any health and social care services provided at home or

  • care home fees (including board and accommodation).

NHS funded nursing Care

If the person you care for is assessed as requiring nursing care in a registered nursing care home you will be eligible for NHS-funded nursing care.

This means that the NHS pays towards the cost of the registered nursing services provided, but the person is still responsible for fees covering board, accommodation and personal care.

For more information visit NHS Choices:

Click here for further information about Independent Financial Advice and Support Options

Click here for a list of local organisations who can give independent advice and support on financial assessment and disability-related expenses

Page last reviewed: 21/03/2022

Page last reviewed: 21/03/2022

Contact the Team

Family Information Service 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2

SEND Local Offer 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2

Adult & Carers Support 0118 937 3747 0118 937 3747
Skip back to top of page