Although working alongside caring can be difficult to juggle, it does ensure you have a life outside your caring responsibilities which provides different challenges, the chance to meet/stay in contact with other people and some financial stability.
Should I give up work?
Many carers feel they should give up work because the demands of caring are so great. However, once you give up work you may find it hard to get back into the job market. And once you are a fulltime carer you may find it difficult to keep in touch with others and you may face financial difficulties.
Before you decide ask yourself:
- How much time do I spend caring?
- Am I the only person who can provide this care?
- Would the person I care for accept help from others?
- Can I afford to give up work?
- How will giving up work affect my pension entitlement?
- Will I miss the social contact or the work itself?
- Will I lose important skills?