Skip to main content


Due to the COVID-19 situation, some of the organisations listed on this site have posted service updates and will continue doing so. Many phone lines and websites are still available, however some contact details may have changed. Try the organisation's own website if you're having difficulty getting through.

If you have any queries, please email us at or

Carer's Allowance

It’s estimated carers in Reading are missing out on £2million in unclaimed Carer’s Allowance.

Carer's Allowance is the main benefit for carers. It is a benefit paid to help people who look after someone who is registered disabled. The carer does not have to be related to, or live with, the person they care for.

A carer can claim Carer’s Allowance if they meet the following criteria:

  • is aged 16 or over
  • spends at least 35 hours a week caring for a person. The care must relate to one person only. These hours include time for supervision, preparation, and clearing up, as well as assistance.

The person cared for must be getting one of the following benefits:

    • Personal Independence Payment daily living component
    • Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest rate for personal care
    • Attendance Allowanc
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries
    • Disablement Benefit
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP).

The carer must satisfy UK residence and immigration rules.

A carer can’t claim Carer’s Allowance if:

  • in full-time education for more than 21 hours a week of supervised study or
  • earns more than £110 a week after certain deductions have been made (such as Income Tax)

If a carer is getting State Retirement Pension, Incapacity Benefit, Bereavement Benefit or any other ‘earnings replacement’ benefit of more than the rate of Carer’s Allowance, the carer cannot be paid Carer’s Allowance as well.

However, if this is the case, the carer could have ‘underlying entitlement’ to Carer’s Allowance, which can help them get more money from other benefits, such as an extra amount of Income Support or Pension Credit, so it is still worth claiming.

A carer may be able to get an additional amount for a spouse, or civil partner or someone living with them who looks after their dependent children.

Make a claim online at: or email:

Telephone: 0345 608 4321
Textphone: 0345 604 5312

Mon - Thurs: 8.30 am - 5 pm / Fri 8.30 am - 4.40 pm

Updated 11/06/19