Skip to main content

Contact the team

Family Information Service -

SEND Local Offer -

Adult Carers Advice & Support -

Parent Carers Needs Assessment & Support

If you are the parent/carer for a disabled child, or you provide unpaid care and/or support to a Reading adult (18 years +), or if you are a young person with caring responsibilities, you may be eligible for support.

To find out more, please follow this link: Help from social care / Children’s Social Care

Please note Reading Borough Council and Brighter Futures for Children have arranged for the Reading & West Berkshire Carers Hub to complete carers assessments for adults who care for another adult or an adult caring for a child. For an assessment, please contact the Reading & West Berkshire Carers Hub on 0118 324 7333 or at 

TuVIDA Carers Hub will undertake the carers assessments for parent carers of under 18 year olds.

Page last reviewed: June 2021

Guidance on requesting a Parent Carers Needs Assessment - BFfC

Guidance on requesting a Parent Carers Needs Assessment - BFfC

Under the Children Act 1989, it has always been expected that an assessment of a Child In Need under Section 17, including all disabled children, will be ‘holistic’ so that it will take account of the needs of other family members.

However, parent carers also have rights to stand-alone assessments and to services under the Children and Families Act 2014.

To find out more about:-

BFfC response to Parent Carers Needs Assessments (PCNAs)

PCNA – child/ young person not currently open to BFfC

PCNA – Child/ Young Person currently open to BFfC

Reviewing PCNA

Please use the following link - Guidance on requesting a Parent Carers Needs Assessment view the information on the Brighter Futures for Children website

(June 2021)