Skip to main content


Due to the COVID-19 situation, some of the organisations listed on this site have posted service updates and will continue doing so. Many phone lines and websites are still available, however some contact details may have changed. Try the organisation's own website if you're having difficulty getting through.

If you have any queries, please email us at or

Housing options for people with a learning disability

Help at home

If the person you care for needs support with personal care or carrying out daily tasks they may be eligible for some support from social care services to help them continue living at home or to move to independent living.

Supported living

The person you care for may be able to live independently with the right support. Supported living arrangements provide an opportunity for people to have their own home with the support they need to help them. The amount of support could be just a few hours a week to a substantial amount of time every day.

Shared Lives Scheme

The Shared Lives Scheme provides support to adults with learning disabilities within an approved carer’s own family home. The support is flexible and the person is encouraged to live as independently as possible. Shared Lives Carers provide longer term support, respite care and day or evening support in the community. These breaks help family members have a break from their caring responsibilities.

For further information contact the Shared Lives Scheme on 0118 937 3700.

Replacement Care

If the assessment shows it is appropriate, people with learning disabilities may be provided with respite care to enable their family carers to take a break. This can take the form of short breaks during the day or overnight stays, depending on what would be most suitable for those involved. 

Residential or nursing care

Some care homes provide specialist accommo- dation and care for people with learning disabilities. You can find information about local care homes from the Berkshire Care Homes Directory or Find a care home on this website.

Updated September 2021