Childcare for Children with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities in Reading

OFSTED registered childcare, is available in Reading for children with special educational needs and or disabilities (SEND). 

Reviewed January 2024

What type of childcare setting are available?

Please use the links below to find out more about the individual childcare settings available in Reading


After School Clubs & Holiday Clubs


Day Nurseries

Do I have to use a OFSTED registered childcare setting?

Using OFSTED registered childcare ensures children and young people will be looked after by trained staff, and the setting meets regulations set by OFSTED.

Is there any help available towards childcare costs?

Parents and carer can reduce the cost of childcare by using 

Childcare Calculator

Tax Free Childcare (TFC)

Working Tax Credit

3 & 4 Year Old Universal 15 hours and 30 hours funding

2 Year Old Education & Childcare Funding - This includes children who receive Disability Living Allowance or have either a Statement of Special Educational Needs or and Education Health and Care Plan.

You can also visit the the Childcare Choices website to find out more about help towards childcare costs.

How do I find out more about the childcare options available?

If you are looking for childcare for a child or young person with special educational needs and/or disabilities, then visit the childcare section Childcare Many of the childcare providers listed on the Family Information Service website will have had experience with children with SEND, and will have stated on their record the specific needs they can cater for.

Many of the childcare providers have completed their Local Offer where they have provided additional information on how they can provide support to children and young people with send, childcare providers who have completed their local offer can be found at Childcare Providers - Local Offers

Is there any additional funding available to support my child attending a childcare setting?

The following are additional funding option a setting can apply to support your child. Use the links to find out more.

Disability Access Fund (DAF)

Early Years Inclusion Fund

Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP)

What if I can't find a childcare setting, and need help?

If you are having difficulty finding suitable childcare, please contact the Family Information Service, our experienced staff can provide a Brokerage Service to help families find and secure a childcare place.

Email - Phone - FIS - 0118 9373777 (option 2) lines open Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm

Early Years Advisory Service for Special Educational Needs

Aimee Trimmer is the Early Years Advisory Teacher for SEN - to find out more about the service visit - 

Early Years Advisory Service for Special Educational Needs

Graduated Approach Document for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities aged 0-5 years

Related Advice

Pre-Schools Childminders Childcare Providers Childcare - Frequently Asked Questions Childcare Contracts and Complaints Day Nurseries Education Health & Care Plans (EHCP) Early Years Team Supporting SEND Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP) Disability Access Fund (DAF) Early Years Inclusion Funding

Page last reviewed: 26/01/2024

Contact the Team

Family Information Service 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2

SEND Local Offer 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2

Adult & Carers Support 0118 937 3747 0118 937 3747
Skip back to top of page