Vehicle road tax exemption and reduction

If you’re disabled or have a serious long-term condition, you may be exempt from vehicle excise duty (known as road tax or car tax). 

You’ll qualify for tax exemption if you’re eligible for the higher rate of mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA), enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP), War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement or Armed Forces Independence Payment.

The vehicle must be registered in your name and can be only be used for your benefit. You can nominate someone else to drive for you, but they cannot use the vehicle for their own personal needs. Visit

You apply for exemption from road tax when you apply for your road tax online, or by phone or at a post office.

If you get PIP at the standard mobility rate, you will be eligible for a reduction in road tax. You will have to apply directly to the DVLA for a road tax reduction.

Next Review date February 2024

Page last reviewed: 27/01/2023

Contact the Team

Family Information Service 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2

SEND Local Offer 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2

Adult & Carers Support 0118 937 3747 0118 937 3747
Skip back to top of page