Disability Benefits

The person you care for may be eligible for disability benefits to help towards the cost of their care and support.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP helps people aged 16 to State Pension age with some of the extra costs caused by long-term illhealth or a disability.

PIP has two parts – a Daily Living Component and a Mobility Component. The rate you get is based on an assessment and depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself. You will be regularly reassessed.

For details: visit https://www.gov.uk/pip or to claim call 0800 917 2222 or Textphone 0800 917 7777

Attendance Allowance (AA)

If you are over 65 years you can claim AA to help towards the costs of personal care and support.

It is paid at two different rates - how much you get depends on the level of care you need.

Your other benefits may increase if you get Attendance Allowance.

For details visit https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance or to claim call the Attendance Allowance Helpline 0800 731 0122 or Textphone: 0800 731 0317

Employment Support Allowance (ESA) and Universal Credit

The person you care for may be eligible for ESA and/or Universal Credit if their illness or disability affects their ability to work.

See www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance

Use an online benefits calculator to make sure you and the person you care are getting ALL the benefits you are entitled to:


Related Advice

Benefits for Carers (Carer's Allowance) Personal Independence Payment


Related Images

Page last reviewed: 19/02/2024

Contact the Team

Family Information Service

fis@reading.gov.uk 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2

SEND Local Offer

localoffer@reading.gov.uk 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2

Adult & Carers Support

CSAAdvice.Signposting@reading.gov.uk 0118 937 3747 0118 937 3747
Skip back to top of page