Skip to main content

Contact the team

Family Information Service -

SEND Local Offer -

Adult Carers Advice & Support -

Do you need help at home or to get out and about?

You can hire a "personal assistant" to act as a homecare worker for you.

Personal assistants can offer you all that you’ll get from an agency worker, but you’ll also get the continuity, familiarity and ongoing relationship with your assistant.

However, if you employ a personal assistant, you will then have the legal responsibility of an employer. This will include arranging cover for their illness and holidays.

GOV.UK has more information on becoming an employer, while Which? Elderly Care also has advice on employing private individuals.

The Skills Care website provides information on what a personal Assistant is and what is involved if you want to use your direct payment to employ this way.  Please click here for more information.

Page last reviewed: 29/09/2020