SEND - Support in school and further education

Reading SEND Local Offer

Children and young people with SEND may find it harder to learn than most children of the same age.  Some children will need extra or different help from that given to others of the same age.

If you think your child may have special educational needs, speak to the person in your child’s school or nursery responsible for special educational needs, this person is called a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (Senco)

There are also some very helpful organisations that can advise and assist when difficulties arise, these are listed below…

Ofsted are changing the way they inspect and report on schools from September 2019. For more information on how these changes will affect you please visit

Updated - May 2023

Next review date May 2024


Reading Independent, Advice & Support for SEND (IASS)

IASS (Formerly The Parent Partnership Service) offers free confidential and impartial advice and support to Reading parents and carers who have children (up to the age of 19) with special educational needs. The service also offers all parents (whether the child has special educational needs or not) advice and support with secondary transfer. This service operates term time only and can be contacted as follows:

Email:  Website: Reading SEND IASS Tel: 0118 937 3421

Elevate ~ Helping you towards a Brighter Future

• Elevate is a free careers advice service for young people in Reading

• We help young people and their parents by giving impartial advice and guidance to support making informed decisions about the future

• Our careers advisors are professionally qualified and can help you understand your next steps into employment, education or training

We also work with young people up to the age of 25 if they have any additional special needs.

Who to contact

Telephone0118 9372204 E-mail or visit Brighter Futures for Children - Elevate -

Independent Parental Special Education Advice (IPSEA)

IPSEA - Offers free and independent advice on Local Education Authorities' legal duties to assess and provide for children with special educational needs.

General advice line 0800 018 4016

IPSEA - Independent Parental Special Education Advice

IPSEA - School Exclusion in England - Children with SEN and/or disabilities are much more likely to be excluded from school than their class mates.

Click on the link  What You Need to Know - Exclusion from School

Contact - for families with disabled children

Contact - for families with disabled children - Contact is the only national charity that exists to support the families of disabled children whatever their condition or disability. With over 30 years of experience, our vision is that families with disabled children are empowered to live the lives they want and achieve their full potential, for themselves, for the communities they live in, and for society. It's why we offer support, information and advice to over 340,000 families each year and campaign for families to receive a better deal.

Helpline: 0808 808 3555

The Berkshire Sensory Consortium Service

''Aim: To raise standards and achievement for all children, particularly those with sensory impairment.''

The Sensory Consortium Service is a specialist education support service for hearing impairment, visual impairment and multi-sensory impairment. We support, extend and enhance the educational opportunities and achievements of children and young people form 0-19 years with a hearing and/or visual impairment from diagnosis to entry into the workplace.

We are a joint arrangement between all Local Authorities in Berkshire: Windsor and Maidenhead; Bracknell Forest, Reading, Slough, West Berkshire and Wokingham.

We are available to all families and schools within the six Local Authorities. Other agencies are welcome to contact us for directly purchased input.

Tel: 01628 796786

ACE Education

ACE Education - Ace Education offers a comprehensive range of advice and information on education issues.

Berkshire College of Agriculture

Berkshire College of Agriculture - Information about all the full time and part time coursesHigher Education courses and Apprenticeships is on the college website

Elective home education (home schooling)

You do not have to be a qualified teacher or follow the national curriculum to home school your child, but we do not provide financial support or schemes of work. You will have to pay for and arrange text books and exams. The offers more information about the law in this area.

Choosing to educate your child at home is a big decision and if you choose to do so, you need to let us and - if relevant - the school know. To find out more visit the Brighter Futures for Children website.

Are there any specialist schools or resource bases in Reading?

There are a number of special schools and resource bases in the Reading Borough, which each have their own admissions criteria:



Contact number

The Avenue Special School

All age special school for children with complex needs, including autism.

0118 937 5554

The Holy Brook Special School

Primary special school for pupils with behavioural, emotional and social difficulties.

0118 937 5489

Hamilton School

Secondary special school for pupils with behavioural, emotional and social difficulties.

0118 937 5524

Blessed Hugh Faringdon School

Secondary mainstream school with a resource for pupils with an autistic spectrum condition.

0118 957 4730

Christ the King Primary School


Primary mainstream school with a resource for pupils with an autistic spectrum condition.

0118 937 5434

EP Collier Primary School

Primary mainstream school with a resource for pupils with speech & language and communication difficulties.

0118 937 5470

Highdown School

Secondary mainstream school with a resource for pupils with a visual impairment.

0118 937 5800


New Bridge Nursery School

Mainstream nursery with a resource for pupils with an autistic spectrum condition.

0118 937 5580

Prospect School

Secondary mainstream school resource for pupils with moderate learning difficulties

0118 959 0466

Thames Valley School

All age special school for children with a diagnosis of Autism

0118 9424 750 

Section 41 Secretary of State Approved List

Section 41 Secretary of State Approved List are institutions who have successfully completed the Section 41 (Children and Families Act 2014) application process for Out of area provision. Section 41 Secretary of State Approved List

Section 41 of the Act allows the Secretary of State, by order, to publish a list of approved independent special institutions (Independent Special Schools – England and Wales and Special Post-16 institutions) for the purposes of satisfying Section 38 (Preparation of an Education, Health and Care plan by local authorities) of the Act. Institutions can only be included on the list with their consent.

Maintained Independent Special Schools

Maintained Independent Special Schools are schools in England, which are independent schools and non-maintained special schools that charge fees for placements for children with special educational needs and are registered with the Department for Education. Non Maintained & Independent Special Schools

Related Advice

Brighter Futures for Children - Reading School Admissions Personal Budgets (Children) ORDINARILY AVAILABLE statement - Provision the local authority (BFfC) expects to be made available by schools, early years and post-16 providers & SEND Support in Mainstream Schools

Page last reviewed: 22/05/2023

Contact the Team

Family Information Service 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2

SEND Local Offer 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2

Adult & Carers Support 0118 937 3747 0118 937 3747
Skip back to top of page