There is a range of support to help you get out and about.
- Travelling by bus
- Concessionary Travel
- Disabled parking
- Travelling to your workplace
- The Oracle Shopmobility Scheme
- RADAR National Key Scheme
- Accessible Facilities (Changing places)
Other services available:
ReadiBus operates in and around Reading, offering a door-to-door, fully accessible, assisted bus service for people who cannot use, or have great difficulty in using, ordinary public transport.
Readibus services include:
- Dial-a-ride (individual door-to-door support)
- Timetabled services
- Shopping assistance in the town centre
- Football service to away games (STAR members only)
For more information to register and book visit www.readibus.co.uk or call 0118 931 0000
Travelling by train
You can find information about the services, facilities and assistance available to support disabled passengers on the National Rail Enquiries website.
For details see www.nationalrail.co.uk/ or call 0800 022 3720; Textphone/miniom: 0845 6050 600
Visit www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations for an interactive tool that lets you plan your way around stations to avoid stairs.
Some stations offer free parking for Blue Badge holders.
You may be eligible to buy a railcard which gives money off most first class and standard fares across the UK:
- The Disabled Persons Railcard is for passengers with eligible disabilities and their travelling companion - see https://www.disabledpersons-railcard.co.uk/
- The Senior Rail Card is for people of 60 see www.senior-railcard.co.uk
Travelling by Air
Passengers with disabilities or reduced mobility can request free assistance to travel through airports and get on and off planes in Europe and the US (other countries may charge). You must book in advance.
Airlines must carry two pieces of mobility equipment free of charge - as long as it fits through the door.
Shopmobility is a service that helps all people with mobility problems to get around city and town centres independently, with freedom, confidence and dignity.
For more information about The Oracle Shopmobility Scheme, please call 0118 965 9008 or visit https://www.theoracle.com/visitorinfo/
You may be able to borrow or hire wheelchairs (and medical equipment):
- British Red Cross - 0300 456 1914 www.redcross.org.uk
- Medical Equipment - John Nike House, 90 Eastern Avenue, Reading RG1 5SF or call 0118 935 8236
Radar National Key Scheme
The National Key Scheme (NKS) offers disabled people independent access to locked public disabled toilets around the country.
You can buy a RADAR key from the Shopmobility service in the Oracle.
Go to level 1 of the Holy Brook Car Park, Bridge Street, Reading RG1 2LR
Local Accessible Facilities
Find out where the changing Places fare in Reading or disabled people : please click here