Skip to main content


Due to the COVID-19 situation, some of the organisations listed on this site have posted service updates and will continue doing so. Many phone lines and websites are still available, however some contact details may have changed. Try the organisation's own website if you're having difficulty getting through.

If you have any queries, please email us at or

Education, Schools & Services

View all services in this category

A child or young person who has a special educational need or disability (SEND) may need some extra help to get the best out of their education and learning. A child or young person with SEND can usually be supported from the resources which early year’s settings, schools and colleges have available to them (SEN Support). However some children or young people with very severe and long term needs may require an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) issued by Brighter Futures for Children.

The advice pages below and the searchable records within "View all Services" explain what early years settings, schools and colleges can provide for children with SEND and what specialist facilities, including special schools, are available. 

SEN Support in mainstream schools - This information is about the support that mainstream schools should provide for children with special educational needs (SEN).

Reading Information, Advice & Support Service for SEND (Reading IASS) - offers free confidential and impartial information, advice and support to Reading parents and carers who have children (up to the age of 25) with special educational needs or disability and to children and young people themselves. More information about how the service can help you can be found at 

Reviewed April 2021