Browse by subject
Transition describes the move from children’s services to adult services.
This can involve leaving school, transferring from children and family services to adult social care services, and/or transferring from paediatric services to adult health services, it can also involve leaving college and moving to employment. Family carers are often concerned about what will happen when their young person leaves full-time education.
They may also worry about the impact on their own lives, as schools provide a settled pattern, along with the opportunity to work, study or just have some time to themselves.
This section is designed to provide information for young people with Special Educational Needs and/or Disability (SEND) on support and services available to help them make informed choices about their futures and includes information on a wide range of subjects.
Updated - April 2023
Next review date April 2024
Latest updates and information
Reading Mencap – Preparing for Adulthood Service - A new Reading Borough Council funded service to support young people and adults with Learning Disability and Autism and their families, who are aged 16-25 and preparing for adulthood. January 2022
GETTING SOCIAL CARE SUPPORT IF YOU HAVE A CHILD WITH SPECIAL EDUCATIONAL NEEDS AND/OR DISABILITIES Produced by Reading Families’ Forum for parent carers with the help of Brighter Futures for Children - February 2022
Making finance decisions for young people: parent and carer toolkit - This toolkit provides a guide for parents and carers to make financial decisions for a young person who lacks mental capacity. June 2023
Related AdviceTransition - Becoming an adult and preparing for the future SEND Employment Help with housing costs Deputy's Office (Reading Borough Council) Housing options for people with a learning disability Education Health & Care Plans (EHCP) EHC Needs Assessment - Timeline - Reading Guide for Parents & Carers Reading Information, Advice & Support Service for SEND (SENDIASS) Reading Families' Forum (RFF) Disagreements, Mediation, Tribunals & Appeals Independent Living SEND - Family Finance Personal Independence Payment Universal Credit Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust (BHFT) Transition from Paediatric to Adult Health Services - Ready Steady Go! Transition from Children to Adult Health Services - Ready Steady Go! Personal Budgets (Children) Personal budgets and direct payments - for Adults Children & Young People’s Disabilities Team (CYPDT) Children's Action Teams (CATs) SEND Activities in Reading and Surrounding areas Disabled Students' Allowance Young People with SEND who are in Custody SEND Process Transitioning Through School Years & Beyond Substance Misuse Drug and Alcohol Support
- Becoming and adult in Reading - Your guide to the process of leaving children’s services and entering adult services - preparing for adulthood - Easy read guide - April 2022
- Preparing for Adulthood - Easy Read Guide - April 2022
- Preparing for Adulthood An information guide for parents and carers - January 2020
- National Framework for Children & Young People's Continuing Care
- Factsheet and FAQ on EHC plan eligibility for 19-25 year olds
- Preparing for Adulthood Policy 2019 - Preparing to Transition from Children to Adult Social Care - June 2019
- Funding of Students 16-25 with SEND - A Quick Guide
- How to avoid getting the flu - Easy Read Guide
- Young Person Friendly - Local Transformation Plan for Children and Young People’s Mental Health and Wellbeing-REFRESH SUMMARY DOCUMENT OCTOBER 2018 Berkshire West CCG area with Reading, West Berkshire and Wokingham Local Authorities
- Holidays, Play & Leisure - A Guide for families in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland & Wales