Carers Advice & Support

Reading SEND Local Offer

Browse by subject

Are you a carer?

If you look after a child or young person with special educational needs and/or disabilities or a child with a long term illness you are a carer, even if you don’t think of yourself that way. There are many ways that you might care for someone.

For instance you might:

  • Have to provide care 24 hours a day
  • arrange and take to hospital appointments
  • Provide personal care

Whether you’ve cared for the child/young person for a long time, or have just become a carer, take time to review your options and find out what support is available to you.

Knowing your rights and getting support is vital and there are many local and national organisations that can help.

Reviewed - April 2023


Related Advice

SEND Guide for Parent Carers Emergency Plan and Reading Carers Card Benefits for Carers (Carer's Allowance) Parent Carers Needs Assessment & Support Carer's Allowance Carer's Emergency Plan and Carer's Card Working and caring Support for young carers Reading Families' Forum (RFF) Children's Action Teams (CATs) Reading Information, Advice & Support Service for SEND (SENDIASS) Personal Budgets (Children) Disagreements, Mediation, Tribunals & Appeals SEND - Family Finance Children & Young People’s Disabilities Team (CYPDT) Substance Misuse
Back to section overview

Contact the Team

Family Information Service 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2

SEND Local Offer 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2

Adult & Carers Support 0118 937 3747 0118 937 3747
Skip back to top of page