Friday Fledglings at The MERL (The Museum of English Rural Life)
A Weekly Outdoor Session for Toddlers
Discover the benefits of outdoor learning and child-led play! Come and join in with activities inspired by the themes and collections of the museum, enjoy exploring nature, our mud kitchen, water play, sand-pit and more. Each session also includes story-telling, craft activities singing and a snack. Friday Fledglings is run by Charlotte, a local teacher and Level 3 Forest Leader.
- Sessions are run on weekly pay-as-you-go basis but you will need to book in advance.
- Bookings open at 12pm on a Friday, one week ahead of the session you’d like to attend.
- Runs only during RBC school term time.
- All are welcome to come along: parents, grandparents and childminders!
Age Suitability and Tickets
The session is suitable for children aged approximately 18 months+ but if your child is able to enjoy interacting with the activities you are welcome to join us sooner. We expect that families will purchase at least 1 participating child ticket if they plan to come along to the session. The free adult and non-participating baby tickets are to accompany a participating child ticket and should not be booked without this.
What to Bring:
- Payment for the session (£4 per participating child)
- Suitable clothing for you all (wellies and wet-weather gear are recommended). The session will remain outdoors, no matter what the weather does
- Your own drinking water for story time
- We will serve bananas and biscuits as a snack or bring your own if you prefer
Please the MERL website for details of how to find us and parking information
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Danielle Eade
- Contact Position
- Public Programmes Manager
- 0118 3788660 0118 3788660
- Scan to visit this website
Where to go
- The Museum of English Rural Life
6, Redlands Road
- RG1 5EX
Directions to RG1 5EX
Parking is limited at the museum. Visitors are encourage walk or use alternative methods of transport if possible. If you do need to come by car, please note that if you are unable to find a space in the small car park at the front of the museum, you will need a permit to park in nearby University car parks (which can be collected from reception or downloaded from the Friday Fledglings web listing on our website). Please see our website for details.
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- Fridays in RBC term time
- Time of day
- Session Information
- £4 Per Session
- Includes a snack. Accompanying adults and non-participating babies free of charge. (Museum admission is free)
- Referral required
Sign in to rate this service
This information has been collected from third party providers therefore the Reading Services Guide, Reading Borough Council (RBC) and Brighter Futures for Children (BFfC) cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy of this information and recommends that parents, carers, young people, residents and professionals check with providers regarding DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) and OFSTED registrations and CQC registrations. Information collected by Reading Service Guide; is used solely to implement and supply the Family Information Service (FIS), Special Educational Needs & Disabilities - Reading's Local Offer, Adults & Carers Support Group and Reading Youth.