Terry's Reading Walkabouts
Whether visiting Reading UK, recently moved to or lived here all your life, my easy guided walking tours explain about its beginning, Rivers/Canal, Important Abbey history, Forbury gardens, Reading Gaol, Glorious Revolution of 1688, WW2 Air Raid, The 5 B’s inc. what was the world’s biggest biscuit factory, Shopping & Restaurants. Suitable for adults & children.
I now have 17 different Themed Guided Walks for you to book on & Explore Reading!
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Terry Dixon
- Contact Position
- 07505351517 07505351517
- Scan to visit this website
Where to go
- My Walkabouts start from different places - PLEASE CHECK MEETING & STARTING POINTS
- RG1 6HS
Directions to RG1 6HS
Other starting points can sometimes be arranged (i.e. hotels in the very centre of Reading).
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- I can walk most Thur. mornings, some Wed afternoons & some W/E mornings (sometimes I can do afternoon or early evening in the months where daylight is sufficient), plus other days including some Saturdays or Sundays are available to book or you can join one of my many planned Walks.
- Time of day
- Session Information
Other times are available if I'm free and My Guided walks take between 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours depending on the route & slowest walker
- Adults £5 to £10, Children under 5 are free & over 5 are £1 Per Session
- I am non-profit making and I also do a Family ticket for £12 (2 adults and 2 or more children). Please note all my takings other than about a few % for admin cost go to charities, most are local ones that change every year, so far I have helped over 15 Charities & raised over £13,000! As of July 2019, I have made well over £5000 for charities like Launchpad, No5, Daisy's Dream, BWA, RAF Association, Tilehurst British Legion etc. My 2019 Financial Year charities are Age (UK) Berkshire & Action-For-Children.
- Referral required
- Referral Details
A few of my 17 different Themes/routes are suitable for Wheelchair users (please check beforehand).
Other disabilities may be able to be accommodated depending on whether the person is accompanied and the severity of the disability.
Please check before coming on the Walk!
Please not I can only talk in English!
- Other notes
Please note this is a hobby for me since retiring and not a full time business. It is a wonderful way for me to make monies for mainly local charities
I set up Terry's Reading Walkabouts (guided walks) in 2016 with the aims/objectives:-
1 To get fitter in a proactive way,
2 To pass on my love of Local history, culture, famous people, Myths, battles, gardens, architecture, gardens, buildings, and more in a fun way
3 I have lived here all my life (my parents before me) & feel that many people now living or travelling to Reading (RDG) do not know about or fully appreciate it’s history, facilities and opportunities e.g. the beauty & accessibility of the Thames, King's & Hills Meadows.
4 I’m a people person & greatly enjoy meeting, helping people. I cannot think of a better way of doing, then hosting my Walkabouts.
5 To raise monies for many local charities These are fun & interactive ways to find out about Reading.
I have 18 different Themed Routes:-
1 Town Centre, Abbey, Forbury Gardens, famous 5B’s & much more!
2 Reading to Caversham return, part via the River Thames
3 Influential Women of Reading Part 1, now my book
4 Influential Women of Reading Part 2, now my book
5 Baker Street Conservation Area (CA)
6 Downshire Square CA - Bricks & Water
7 Reading's Architecture - 5 famous architects in the world have buildings in Reading
8 Reading's Proud Photographic Heritage - Birth of Photography started in Reading!
9 Reading Past Crime & Punishment – very popular
10 Ghost walkabout (Evening or Daytime) Best for Autumn or Winter
11 Rising Sun Arts Centre 30th Aniv. - Alfred Waterhouse, Pubs, London St, Southampton St,. very old Areas of Reading.
12 Castle Hill/Coley Heritage 13 Edible Reading - Famous Factories, People, Places & Products
14 Tilehurst My Home Village
15 Huntley & Palmer's 200th Aniv. Year
16 The Mount, Redlands & Alexandra Roads CAs
17 NEW St Peter's Caversham Conservation Area (CA) & Beyond
18 NEW 6 Bridges and A Bridge Too Far! So far I have raised over £12,500 for 15, mostly local charities in 6.5 years since I started!. I have taken out 2400+ people, mix of Residents & Visitors
PLEASE DO NOT TURN UP BEFORE BOOKING WITH ME VIA MY FACEBOOK PAGE OR BY PHONE FIRST on 07505 351517.
- I have walked my different routes several times (accompanied) and produced a detailed Risk Assessment (copy available) based on my safety knowledge and experience.
- I start with a brief safety run through explaining potential hazards and I require all adult participants to sign it, stating that they understand these hazards & requirements.
- I have produced an ‘Information and declaration form’ for participating walkers
- For safety reasons I'm insured, I carry a mobile phone, Risk Assessment, drinking water and a basic first aid kit.
Sign in to rate this service
This information has been collected from third party providers therefore the Reading Services Guide, Reading Borough Council (RBC) and Brighter Futures for Children (BFfC) cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy of this information and recommends that parents, carers, young people, residents and professionals check with providers regarding DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) and OFSTED registrations and CQC registrations. Information collected by Reading Service Guide; is used solely to implement and supply the Family Information Service (FIS), Special Educational Needs & Disabilities - Reading's Local Offer, Adults & Carers Support Group and Reading Youth.