Christ the King RC Primary School

A voluntary aided primary school.

Christ the King hosts a 20 place Specialist Resource for primary age children in Reading who have Autistic Spectrum Conditions (ASC - often called ASD). To apply for a place at The Ark a child must have either a statement or an EHCP and needs to go through panel and not through the main school. 

Our Resource opened in November 2011. The children in our Resource have brought a new and delightful dimension to life at Christ the King.  Our Resource is now part of the network of provision which includes the "Snowflakes" Resource at Newbridge Nursery and the secondary age Asperger's Resource at Blessed Hugh Faringdon Catholic School.

Staff from the Resource can give us advice about other children with ASD.  We also have a Family Worker, a non- class based SENCO, an SEN assistant and a small team of learning support assistants on staff.  We benefit from extra sessions from a Speech Therapist and extra  weekly sessions from a Play Therapist, Massage Therapist  and an Art Therapist.

 Christ the King RC Primary School has published their local Offer and their ASD Resource Local Offer to provide information on Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

This setting has signed up to offer Tax Free Childcare.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Nikki McVeigh - Head Teacher
(0118) 937 5434 (0118) 937 5434
Scan to visit this website

Where to go

Lulworth Road
Directions to RG2 8LX

Childcare Information

Ofsted Information

Ofsted Report:
See the Latest Ofsted Inspection Report

Local Offer

Contact Name
Janet Asker
Contact Telephone
0118 9015434
Contact Email
Christ the King RC Primary School - Website SEND Policies Accessibility Plan
Local Offer Age Bands
Primary (4-10 years)
SEN Provision Type
Local Offer Updated

Schools Extended Local Offer Response


School Name: Christ The King Catholic Primary School Address: Lulworth Road, Reading, RG2 8LX Telephone: 0118 901 5434 Email: Website: Ofsted link: Head teacher: Nikki McVeigh SENCo: Name: Janet Asker Contact: 0118 901 5434 Date of latest Accessibility Plan: To be updated September 2026 Date completed: Oct 2023 By whom: Nikki McVeigh Name: Rachel Tetchner Role: Assistant Head teacher/ The Ark Manager/Inclusion Manager

General Statement – All children are special, and as a Catholic school we recognise that every human being is unique and uniquely wonderful: we are all created in the image and likeness of God. We work hard to help all our children to develop the skills they will need to help them to live fulfilled and happy lives. Some children have more challenges and find it more difficult to make progress than others. Government figures show that around 1 child in every 5 has a Special Educational Need, and just under 3 children in every hundred, those with the greatest needs, have an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP). The school has provision for a 21 place Autism Resource through separate admissions panel, for children from Reception up to Year 6. The resource can take up to 3 children in each year group.

1: The kinds of special educational needs for which provision is made at the school
1.1: Do you have children with SEND in your school?


1.2: What kinds of SEND do those children have?

We have pupils diagnosed with a range of needs, including The Ark, ASD Resource: Autism, ADHD, Global Learning Delay, Speech and Language specific needs, Dyslexia, physical and health needs, visual impairment and Social Emotional Mental Health difficulties

2: Information related to mainstream schools about the school's policies for the identification and assessment of pupils with SEND
2.1: How do you know if a pupil has SEN?

Levels are tracked termly to check progress and pupils who are not making expected progress are raised as a concern in pupil progress meetings. Teachers review the SEN register for their class, identify any pupils they feel may need adding or removing, in consultation with parents and Senco.

We have regular Inclusion Team meetings, including Inclusion Manager, Senco, Family Worker, Pastoral Support Worker and Senco Assistant, where we discuss any pupils who have been flagged by either a parent or a teacher and monitor those on the SEN register.

The SENCO or Ark Manager will make a referral with the parents/carers consent to the most appropriate agency if needed

2.2: How will I know if my child is receiving SEN support?

We believe that your child’s education should be a partnership between parents and teachers, therefore we aim to keep communication channels open and communicate regularly, especially if your child has complex needs. 

All SEN pupils have an Individual Education Plan (IEP), discussed with parents and teachers and monitored 3 times a year by the SENCo to ensure targets are set according to the pupil’s area of need. The targets set are SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time scaled) targets with the expectation that the child will achieve the target by the time it is reviewed. IEPs will be written 3 times a year with parents.

3: Information about the school's policies for making provision for pupils with SEND whether or not pupils have EHC plans
3.1: Where can I find information about the school SEN Policy?

On our school website

3a: How the school evaluates the effectiveness of its provision for such schools
3a.1: How do you make sure that the SEN provision is helping pupils make better progress?

If a pupil has needs in a specific area, such as handwriting, phonics, basic numeracy and literacy skills, then the pupil may be placed in a small focus or intervention group. The intervention groups are regularly reviewed to ascertain the effectiveness of the provision and to support future planning.

3a.2: How do you check other outcomes for children with SEND, such as independence and well-being?

Outcomes are monitored yearly at the Annual review for pupils with an EHCP, termly for IEPs.

3b: The school's arrangements for assessing and reviewing the progress of pupils with special educational needs
3b.1: How do you check and review the progress made by pupils with SEN?

Termly Pupil Progress Meetings with Senior Leadership team and class teacher to look at the progress for the whole class, including children with SEND

Termly assessment across the school

3b.2: How will I find out about the progress my child is making?

We have termly parents’ evenings to discuss progress and next steps with the class teacher and SENCo or Ark Manager if requested.

Termly IEPs updated with class teacher and parents.

Pupils with an EHCP will have yearly formal meetings, under 5s have 6 monthly reviews, to discuss progress and written reports will be included from the class teacher, SENCo or Ark Manager. Outside agencies involved will also be invited.

The Ark operate a home / school link book which your child will bring home regularly so that comments from parents and teacher/support staff can be shared and responded to when needed.

Photos of pupils’ achievements and photocopies of pupils’ work may be sent home to show successes in school. Phone calls or emails are also used as an effective way of communication

3b.3: How will I be involved in those reviews? Who else will be there?

Parents will be invited for parents evenings, IEP meetings or EHCP Annual reviews

3c: The school's approach to teaching pupils with SEND
3c.1: How do your teachers help pupils with learning difficulties or disabilities to learn?

Quality First Teaching underpins our inclusive approach to teaching at Christ the King Primary School. Work within class may be scaffolded so that children can access the curriculum according to their needs. Some pupils may need access to further support from outside agencies. 

3c.2: How can I find out more about what my child is learning at the moment?

All teachers put up a list of topics and learning outcomes for all subjects each term on the website

Beginning of the year meet the teacher

Regular parent meetings

3d: How the school adapts the curriculum and learning environment for pupils with SEND
3d.1: How have you made the school buildings and site safe and welcoming for pupils with SEN or disabilities?

We have a bespoke Autism Resource catering specifically for the needs of pupils EHCPs where the primary need is Autism with Disabled toilet, Shower facilities and Sensory room/Quiet room

School site adapted for a visually impaired child


3d.2: How will the curriculum be matched to my child's needs?

Quality First Teaching underpins our inclusive approach to teaching at Christ the King Primary School. Work within class may be scaffolded so that children can access the curriculum according to their needs. Some children may need further adaptations to the curriculum or an individualised curriculum

3e: Additional support for learning that is available to pupils with SEND
3e.1: Is there additional support available to help pupils with SEND with their learning?

Pupils have access to a number of different Teaching Assistants to support work in class and to ensure access to the curriculum.

Appropriate specialist equipment may be given to pupils to use, such as writing slopes, specialist pencil grips, concentration cushions or easy to use scissors. 

The curriculum may be scaffolded to support pupils access the learning.

We have a Nurture group for 6 children running afternoons for children in Year 3 and 4

We have a small garden called 'Sunshine Room' for a group of 4 children with EHCPs and who are not able to access the mainstream classroom

3e.2: How are the school's resources allocated and matched to children's special educational needs?

In discussion with teachers, inclusion team and senior leadership team resources are allocated

3e.3: How will I know if my child is getting extra support?

We have termly parents’ evenings to discuss progress and next steps with the class teacher, SENCo or Ark Manager if requested. 

Pupils with an EHCP will have yearly formal meetings to discuss progress and written  reports will be included from the class teacher, SENCo or Ark Manager. Parents sign a SEN register consent form, once their child is receiving provision over and above quality first teaching.

IEPs are written and assessed 3 times a year.

3f: Activities that are available for pupils with SEND in addition to those available in accordance with the curriculum
3f.1: What social and extra-curricular activities are available for students with SEND?

Sensory circuits, Social Skills groups, Lego Club, uSports small group sessions, Creative Art Therapy, Massage Therapy, Attention Autism, overnight SEN trip to Ufton Court, regular opportunities for school trips and visits.


SEN children can take part in all extra curriculum activities on offer

3f.2: How can my child and I find out about these activities?

The majority are allocated according to need by school staff, however all extra-curricular activities are advertised on our website and in the newsletter weekly where parents can then sign up


3f.3: How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

Individual risks assessments for behaviour and physical needs to enable the children to be included on trips.

Parents included to accompany children on trips where needed

3g: Support that is available for improving the emotional and social development of pupils with SEND
3g.1: What support will there be for my child's overall well-being?

The school offers a wide range of support for pupils’ well-being.

Class teachers, SENCo, Ark Manager, Family Support Worker and Pastoral Support Worker are all readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues or concerns.

The school also have regular meetings with a Primary Mental Health worker and the Educational Psychologist to discuss any mental health concerns with pupils. Some pupils may work with outside agencies to support their well-being, such as (SALT) Speech and Language Therapist, (OT) Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist, Creative Art Therapist, Primary Mental Health Workers, Behaviour Support, Educational Psychologist and Massage Therapist.

Trained ELSA in school. Family support worker who contacts parents when pupils are absent and support parents with any concerns.

4: In relation to mainstream schools, the name and contact details of the SEN Co-ordinator
4.1: Who should I contact if I want to find out more about how the school supports students with SEND?

SENCO: Janet Asker

Inclusion Manager: Rachel Tetchner 0118 901 5434 

family support worker: Alexis King 

0118 901 5434

4.2: What should I do if I think my child may have a special educational need or disability?

First speak to the class teacher who will speak to the inclusion team

5: Information about the expertise and training of staff in relation to children and young people with SEND and how specialist expertise will be secured
5.1: What training have the teachers and other staff who support children and young people with SEND had?

Teaching staff, support staff and lunch time controllers are regularly trained.

Including: Speech and Language, ELSA, Team Teach, Hand Massage, story massage, Occupational Therapy, Maths interventions, Lego club, Attention Autism, Precision Teaching, Colourful Semantics, PECs Intensive Interaction, Drawing Whilst Talking, Scaffolding

6: Information about how equipment and facilities to support children with SEND will be secured
6.1: What happens if my child needs specialist equipment or other facilities?

Budgets aligned to School Development Plan, unless designated funding through EHCP

A budget is allocated to the SENCO and to The Ark annually.

Resources are purchased and allocated as appropriate to meet need.

Provision, including resources are monitored by inclusion team

7: The arrangements for consulting parents of children with SEND about, and involving such parents in, the education of their child
7.1: How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child's education?

We have termly parents’ evenings to discuss progress and next steps with the class teacher, SENCo or Ark Manager if requested.

Pupils with an EHCP will have yearly formal meetings to discuss progress and written reports will be included from the class teacher, SENCo or Ark Manager.

Discuss concerns with the class teacher first. Senco, Ark Manager and family worker are always available to discuss further issues in conjunction with the teacher.

7.2: How will you help me to support my child's learning?

As above

8: The arrangements for consulting young people with SEN about, and involving them in their education
8.1: How will my child be involved in his/her own learning and decisions made about his/her education?

Every child with an EHCP will be included in their Annual review.

Pupil voice on the IEPs

A range of pupils are on the school council and represent the views of all peers

9: Any arrangements made by the governing body relating to the treatment of complaints from parents of pupils with SEND concerning the provision made at the school
9.1: Who can I contact for further information?

School website

Contact the school office

9.2: Who can I contact if I am not happy about the SEN provision made for my child?

First person to speak to is the class teacher, then someone from the inclusion team will contact you

If further complaint need to be made speak to headteacher

10: How the governing body involves other bodies including health and social care, LA support services and voluntary organisations, in meeting the needs of pupils with SEND and in supporting the families of such pupils
10.1: Who else provides services in school for children with SEN or disabilities?

Some pupils may work with outside agencies to support them, such as (SALT) Speech and Language Therapist, (OT) Occupational Therapist, Physio, Behaviour support, Educational Psychologist, ABC to Read, Creative Art Therapist, Massage Therapist and Primary Mental Health Workers.

10.2: How can my family get support from these services?

Referrals need to be made by one of the Inclusion team

11: The contact details of support services for the parents of pupils with SEND including those for arrangements made in accordance with clause 32
11.1: Who should I contact to find out about other support for parents and families of children with SEN or disabilities?

Reading families forum

Reading Local Offer

Parenting Special Children


12: The school's arrangements for supporting pupils with SEND in transferring between phases of education
12.1: How will you help my child make a successful move into the next class or secondary school or other move or transition?

Reception teachers, Senco and Ark Manager visit new pupils coming up.

Nursery pupils spend time in the Reception class before transition. 

Staggered transition at the beginning of the year for Reception pupils and Nursery pupils.

Some pupils with an EHCP have phased transitions building up to full time.

Social stories or transition books may be given to some pupils with information about their new class.

SENCO’s from Secondary Schools are invited to annual reviews or transition meetings prior to their transition, to set up a transition programme of support.

13: Information on where the LA's SEN Information Report / Local Offer is published ORDINARILY AVAILABLE statement - Provision the local authority expects to be made available by schools, early years and post-16 providers)
13.1: Where can I find out about other services that might be available for our family and my child?

Information is always passed onto parents, including that from external agencies. 

There is a family support worker on site.

Local offer is on the school website.

14: Arrangements for assessing and reviewing children and young people's progress towards outcomes. This should include the opportunities available to work with parents and young people as part of this assessment and review
14.1: What opportunities will we as parents and our child have to review our child's progress towards the agreed outcomes?

Regular dialogue with parents.

For pupils with an EHCP, outcomes will be reviewed at Annual Reviews, yearly.

IEPs will be discussed termly.

Outside agencies, such as SALT or Educational Psychologist may come to Annual Reviews or update plans accordingly.

14.2: How often will these reviews happen?

IEPs termly

EHCPs annually unless under 5

15: Who can I contact for further information?

In the first instance, parents/carers are encouraged to talk to their child’s class teacher.

Further information and support can be obtained from the setting/school’s SENCo, Inclusion Manager or Family Worker

16: What is the complaints procedure?

This can be found on the school’s website.

17: Our external partners are

Educational Psychologist, Speech & Language Therapist, Social Care, Occupational Therapist, Massage Therapist, Creative Art Therapist, Physio, Primary Mental Health Worker and Behaviour Support

18: Is there any additional provision you have developed during the year?


19: Link to the schools websites SEND information or policy page.


Sign in to rate this service


This information has been collected from third party providers therefore the Reading Services Guide, Reading Borough Council (RBC) and Brighter Futures for Children (BFfC) cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy of this information and recommends that parents, carers, young people, residents and professionals check with providers regarding DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) and OFSTED registrations and CQC registrations. Information collected by Reading Service Guide; is used solely to implement and supply the Family Information Service (FIS), Special Educational Needs & Disabilities - Reading's Local Offer, Adults & Carers Support Group and Reading Youth.


Sign in to rate this service Remove from Shortlist

Last Updated

Last updated:

Contact the Team

Family Information Service 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2

SEND Local Offer 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2 0118 937 3777 OPTION 2

Adult & Carers Support 0118 937 3747 0118 937 3747
Skip back to top of page