What is the Local Offer?
From September 2014 every Local Authority was required to publish information about services in their area for children and young people from birth to 25 who have special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND); and also services outside of the area which children from their area may use. This is known as the “SEND Local Offer”.
The Local Offer will put all the information about education, health and care services, voluntary agencies, leisure activities and support groups in one place.
Who delivers this service?
The Family Information Service provides information on the SEND Local Offer on behalf of Brighter Futures for Children, which is contracted to deliver the SEND/Local Offer service. Brighter Futures For Children - Website
We are a free impartial service 9am-5pm Monday – Friday (excluding bank holidays).
The service is delivered by qualified staff.
The Disability Information Service can provide information on the following:
- Short Breaks / Respite
- Holiday Clubs
- What’s on, Leisure Activities and Clubs
- Family Support and local and national
- The SEND Local Offer Newsletter published three times a year.
- Information emails keeping parents/carers/practitioners informed on new groups, courses, events and more…
- Information on Financial help for families’
- Ofsted registered childcare including childminders who offer provision for children with special needs
- Information on SENDLocal Offer, Education & Health Care plans / Personal Budgets
- Disabled Children & Young People's Register
- The Max Card
- Research – If we don’t have the information we will research it for you!
A free information service for families living and working in Reading.
Please see the link to the latest DfE video for young people about the Local Offer.