You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to:
- widen doors and install ramps
- improve access to rooms and facilities - eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
- provide a heating system suitable for your needs
- adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use
A Disabled Facilities Grant will not affect any benefits that you’re getting.
The Council wants to use this limited fund to adapt as many homes as possible. To do this we have to:
- Look for the simplest, least disruptive and most cost effective adaptation that meet your needs
- Adapt within the existing structure of your home
- Prioritise according to criteria based on the principles of fair access to Care Services following grant approval if the demand for DFGs outstrips the funds available.
In all cases where a DFG has been approved the adaptation work will be carried out within the 12-month statutory period. However, the staging of applications will enable finite resources to be used in the first instance to assist those with the highest needs on the grounds of health, safety and welfare.