A young carer is someone who looks after a relative who is unwell or has a disability. If you are a young carer, you may have a parent who uses a wheelchair, or a sibling who has a learning disability. You might live with a parent who struggles with emotional health problems or have a parent who misuses substances.
A young carer is anyone aged 4 – 19, who may be doing caring tasks such as;
- Helping their relative move around the house
- Giving them their medicine
- Listening to them when they need someone
- Looking after brothers and sisters
- Preparing meals
- Doing chores around the house
Whatever your home life, there is support for you!